Museum Director position open
We are accepting applications for a new position of Museum Director. This is a voluntary position and it is essential that applicants have prior or current museum experience. The museum is an active member of the local community and has a strong interest in education..
All applications in writing please to the Secretary, Blandford Town Museum etc. The closing date is 31st October 2016.
- The Museum Director is in overall charge of securing and overseeing the museum's collections, ensuring that policies, budgets and goals are made and kept. Museum experience is essential.
- As the team leader, the Director provides creative and fresh ideas about how to run the museum, setting the overall missions and goals and ensure they are met, setting future directions for exhibits, fund raising, budgets.
- The Director is responsible for research and collection maintenance, duties and responsibilities of staff, staff training, raising funds to cover the cost of museum and collection maintenance by museum promotion, events management and securing grants.
- The Director should maintain a record of visitors, numbers and geographic spread, likes and dislikes, in order to plan for future directions.
- The Director is responsible for maintaining the sustainability policy of the museum and preparing forward plans, supervising the exchange or loan of artefacts in the collection, supervising the fabric of the museum building and maintain a safe environment.
- The Director has responsibility for maintaining accreditation, ensuring all policy documents (Documentation, Collection Care and Conservation, Acquisition and Disposal, Business, Equal Opportunity, Risk Assessment, Environment, Disaster, Emergency, Disability, Child Protection policies) are complete and up-to-date.
- The Director shoud set up Learning Plan: research and the direction of educational programs related to the museum and exhibits in order to reach out to the public and to academics, by arranging tours, research, funding and education programmes.
- The Director should meet regularly with people from all departments to make sure that everything is running smoothly: curation, archive, shop, IT, publicity, publications and should engage with the local community to develop collaborative programmes. Anything that affects the museum’s public profile, good or bad, is the ultimate responsibility of the Director.